Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Spring Cleaning: Less is More

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."
-William Morris

Thank you to Clover Lane for posting yet again about 40 days 40 bags! I am going to stop procrastinating about this, make a list, and just do it! Sarah made some great points, How do I want MY HOUSE to look? Less stuff, less clutter. Simpler, more organized. Ready for company at anytime, and ready for a showing if I were to sell my house tomorrow.

Stuff I threw out from the Pantry last week

More from the kitchen

MORE from the Pantry


Let me quickly explain the concept....

What You'll need:
  • Trash Bags (Sarah suggested black bags so you won't be tempted to look back through what you already got rid of.)
  • Paper Towels
  • Everywhere Cleaner
  • A mind that LESS IS MORE

What You'll Do:
  • Create a list that divides your house up into 40 (or less) areas.
  • Each day you will tackle one area, PURGING any stuff that you no longer need or use. My thought is, if I haven't touched it/worn it/used it in 12 months, we don't really need it. 
  • Sort items into 2 bags...1. Throw Away 2. Give Away
  • Tidy up the area with a new sense of relief and freshness!
  •  Relax or move onto the next room if you are still feeling energized.


"Bottom line is, if you do not use or need it, it's clutter and needs to go."
-Charisse Ward


I have a small place, just barely over 1000 sq ft. I probably won't need all 40 days, so my list only includes 31...that's all that would fit on the page! Some days might look light, but I want the goals to be achievable. If I get through that day's "area" quickly, then I can go ahead and clear the next one too. Some days might look heavy, but those are ones that will take more time. I have to be realistic...I also have to still take care of the kids, and any other plans or projects that we have going on.


My goal eventually is to stop collecting/purchasing so much "stuff", that I won't even have to do a full 40 day purge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...