Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Not Your Average Hummus Recipes {Vegan}

Hummus is way too expensive! I really don't get why is costs so much. You can get it at Costco at a pretty good price, but I don't like the flavors that they have. I decided to make it myself...the recipes are really easy, and extremely delicious! (They are also VEGAN.) I can't wait to try out some other varieties.

Beet Hummus:

I LOVE beets. I could eat a pound them just by themselves.  I bought beets from Costco that are already cooked, and peeled. They come in 8oz packages, which is perfect for this recipe. You can also cook your own beets in water until they are extremely soft, and then peel them.

Ingredients:
1 (15.5oz) can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1/2 lb beets, about 4 medium sized beets
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
1 small garlic clove

Place all the ingredients in a food processor, and blend until smooth. I did the beets first, then added everything else. Serve with tortilla chips, or pita chips. Store covered in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it!





Yeah, it was that good!


Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter:

I know this recipe sounds really weird, but it's delicious! It tastes like you are eating peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough....without the eggs! Just try it. (Recipe from here)

Ingredients:
1 (15.5oz) can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1/2 cup natural, creamy peanut butter (you can use any creamy kind, but if it's already sweetened, then you will want to use less blue agave)
1/4 cup blue agave nectar
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini, and use Vegan if you would like)

Place all ingredients, except the chocolate chips, in the food processor until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips. Serve with graham crackers. Store covered in the fridge. I haven't tried freezing this one.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...