Monday, March 26, 2012

Super-Delicious-Amazing Mac & "Cheese" {Vegan}


I am in SHOCK right now about how amazing this mac & "cheese" turned out. I actually liked it better than real mac & cheese. Plus, it's milk-free, butter-free, cheese-free, and VEGAN! Even if you are not vegan, or dairy-free, you have to try this recipe because it is SO delicious!

I'm not going to take credit for the recipe because I followed Chef Chloe's recipe to a tee (minus the broccoli). I used almond milk, not sure if that would make a difference in the taste compared to other non-dairy milk. I know that you can just click on the link to get the recipe, but I want to post it here so you can see just how great it is. It's fast, easy, delicious, comforting, AND....it's also toddler & husband approved! I am trying to hold back from eating another bowl as I type this. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni
  • 1/4 cup vegan margarine (I used Earth's Best)
  • 1/3 cup all purpose flour (or gluten-free all purpose flour)
  • 3 cups unsweetened almond milk (soy or rice)
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast  (I puchased in bulk at Sprouts for $8.99 per lb, sounds expensive, but you don't need that much)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste (You can purchase it in a tube from Trader Joe's if you don't want the rest of a small can to go to waste, or you can cook Stuffed Portabellas- recipe coming soon!)
  • 1.5 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp agave nectar
Cook the macaroni according to package directions in heavily salted water. 

In a large sauce pan, melt 1/4 cup vegan margarine, then whisk in 1/3 cup flour. Make a paste with the two ingredients, and cook on medium for 3-5 minutes, whisking often.


Add 3 cups almond milk, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1.5 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp garlic powder and whisk well. Cook on medium heat until it comes to a boil, whisking often. Then, simmer until it thickens (keep whisking!). Once thick, add 1 tbsp lemon juice, and 1 tbsp agave nectar.


Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce....it should be the perfect amount of sauce for a 1 pound package. You can also add some cooked veggies, like broccoli!


If you make this recipe, please let me know what you think...I am dying to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...